Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chapter 1 - Questions

Chapter 1 – Question

“Hello.” Adolph answers his phone, lying on his bed half naked and smoking a cigarette. “Hey, where the hell are you? I’m already at the venue,” the voice answered. “oh, its you Edwin, good thing you called, I almost forgot about our mission, I’ll be there in a few minutes.” Adolph responded as he hastily stood up. “Well, hurry up. I’ll see you at the entrance.”

Adolph arrived at the bar wearing a white jacket, fitted jeans and a white cap. He looked around the entrance. He noticed a guy parking a black car. A tall, bald man, wearing a red shirt and loose pants came out of the car as his silver accessories reflected light from the street posts. Three girls met him at the entrance then the four of them entered the club.

“That’s Kelvin, he’s been involved with numerous crimes around the area. He’s a big fish around here.” a low voice from behind informed. Adolph turned around and greeted Edwin Ithel Thom, wearing his usual black shirt that compliments his medium body build. Edwin glanced at his watch and smiled, “You’re only five minutes late tonight, congratulations.” Adolph responded with a mischievous grin. “So, what’s going to happen tonight?.”

Adolph and Edwin entered the club, the usual party scene welcomed them. Adolph noticed a woman already half naked as she jumped up and down to the beat, a drunk young man trying his best to get to the restroom, and a group of girls flirting with a rich looking guy.

“ Adolph, there’s our target.” Edwin pointed to a rich looking man in the dance floor. “Our client paid us well for that man’s death. Here’s his profile.” Edwin gave him an envelope. “Give me a call when its done. I’ll be around.” Edwin said as he left.

Adolph read the document, hid the envelope in his jacket and approached the man. “Excuse me, you’re Josh Anderson, right?” Adolph asked the man. “Yes, I am Josh Anderson. Do I know you?”, the man responded as he tried to recognize Adolph. “Well, I watched you race yesterday and I think you’re really good. I’m Stanley, I organize drag races around here. There will be an event this coming Saturday and the stakes are high. I was wondering if you’d like to join.” Josh quickly responded, “ I’m interested.”

The two of them got out of the dance floor and went to a table. “Okay, I’m listening.” Josh said, starting the conversation. “Well, an underground race will be held this Saturday at a place we call the Den. The winner will receive fifteen thousand bucks. But, take note that this race is not a typical drag racing event. Before you are qualified to race you need to do a special task first.” Adolph explained. “Okay then, if its for fifteen thousand, why not. That’s really big money. What do I need to do?” After hearing that answer, Adolph smiled.

“Hello, you done already?” Edwin answered his phone.

“That was easy man. Kelvin got seriously mad when I told him his girl was making out with some loser. He caught them and shot the guy in the head.” Adolph boasted through the phone. “I’ll be heading home then. Mata ne. (see you later).”

As Adolph put the phone in his pocket, a cold and beautiful voice spoke to him, “Nice work.” Adolph turned around and saw a beautiful lady. She was wearing a dress, as if she was going to a ball. Her long black hair goes well with her blue dress. Confused, and wondering why a woman would wear such clothing in a place like that, Adolph asked the woman. “Excuse me? Are you talking to me?”. The woman replied in a soft cold voice, “What do you think? Is there anyone else to talk to?”. Adolph also answered with a question, “How long have you been listening?” he asked as his forehead is starting to sweat a little. “Don’t worry I won’t say anything about the incident,” the lady paused. “Hey, do you think the world is real?” she continued. “ I’m sorry but I gotta go somewh---,” “And have you ever wondered who is god? Or why are we here?” she interrupted. Surprised and confused, Adolph remained silent. “Do you know why you are here, Adolph? Have you ever wondered what life means? Or have you asked yourself if you are really alive?” the lady smiled at him.

Adolph felt a weird mixing of emotions, he felt scared, happy, excited, and sad at the same time. His heartbeat went faster and faster. He couldn’t figure out what to do. He couldn’t even decide if he should speak or not. Suddenly, his vision blurred, he couldn’t move at all.

And with a loud thud, he fell to the ground, and for the last time he stared at the woman’s beautiful face, before fully falling asleep, the last words on his mind was ‘GOD WANTS TO MEET YOU’.

No comments:

Post a Comment